This document outlines Melbourne International Film Festival (Filmfest Limited) Terms and Conditions for MIFF 68½. MIFF may vary these terms and conditions at any time. MIFF will post the varied terms and conditions on its website.
To be able to stream films from MIFF 68½, you will need to set up a user account. By setting up an account, you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.
“MIFF” or “We” means Filmfest Limited trading as Melbourne International Film Festival.
“MIFF 68½” means a video streaming platform provided to MIFF by Shift72 Ltd.
“MIFF Members” means any person who has a valid membership for Melbourne International Film Festival that is valid beyond Sunday 23 August 2020. This includes Deluxe Members and MIFF Circle Patrons.
Use of the Platform
The ability to set up an account on MIFF 68½ will commence on Friday 17 July 2020. Prior to this date, access to accounts will be by invitation-only to MIFF Members.
Access to films on MIFF 68½ is for viewers in Australia only. Geo-blocking and geo-filtering measures are in place to ensure compliance and prevent access to films from outside Australia.
Films on MIFF 68½ are for personal viewing by you and your immediate household only and must not be screened in any commercial or public setting.
You are responsible for checking that you have the appropriate equipment to view films on MIFF 68½ including compatible devices, software and access to the internet. Further information about the minimum requirements for viewing films on MIFF 68½ can be found here: https://2020.miff.com.au/page/help/. These requirements are subject to change at any time, and we will use reasonable endeavours to inform you of these changes.
Your viewing experience may be affected by the performance of these items including the speed of your internet connection. MIFF cannot be held responsible for issues you may experience as a result of inadequate equipment, internet connection or bandwidth. No refunds will be issued where these issues prevent you from playing films on MIFF 68½.
The unauthorised recording and/or distribution of films accessed via MIFF 68½ is strictly prohibited and constitutes a breach of copyright. By using MIFF 68½, you agree not to tamper with or disable any anti-piracy technologies that are in place to protect films. Any person caught breaching copyright will be removed from MIFF 68½ and such persons may also be subject to legal action.
The purchase of film streams will commence on Friday 17 July 2020 except for MIFF Members, who can access the Members pre-sale from 7pm AEST on Tuesday 14 July 2020.
The streaming price of each film is displayed as you undertake your purchase. Please check all purchases you make on MIFF 68½ carefully. Once your order is complete, it cannot be cancelled, and no refunds will be offered.
MIFF Members will receive a promotional code to enter during the purchase process to enable them to receive a 15% discount on the price of Film streams and Film bundles in MIFF 68½. The MIFF Members discount is not valid on the food and film packages offered by Chin Chin and Chandon.
Prices are subject to change without notice.
MIFF reserves the right to limit capacity for each film in line with agreements with film rightsholders and to meet the requirements set out by the Classification Board. MIFF does not guarantee access to any film in MIFF 68½.
Payments for streams in MIFF 68½ are handled via Stripe, a third-party payment gateway provider. All payments via this system are processed using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) protocol, where sensitive information is encrypted to protect your privacy. MIFF accepts no liability for any losses you may incur as a result of any breach of terms either by yourself or by our third-party payment provider.
MIFF gift vouchers, passports, mini passes and share passes are not valid for purchases on MIFF 68½.
Viewing Window for Films
Please make yourself aware of the advertised viewing window for the film you have streamed as these vary across different titles. You are responsible for viewing films within these windows as no extensions can be offered. No refunds will be available for unwatched or unfinished film streams.
The majority of films on MIFF 68½ will be accessible from 11am AEST on Friday 7 August 2020 through to 11.59pm AEST on Sunday 23 August 2020.
As soon as you press play on the majority of films, you will have thirty (30) hours to complete your viewing. You are reminded that some films on MIFF 68½ have shorter viewing windows. Please check each one carefully.
- Program Spotlights are films that only become available to view on MIFF 68½ on specific dates throughout the festival.
- A Program Spotlight film is only available to view on the published date.
- The viewing window for Program Spotlights will end five (5) hours after the published start time and you must have finished watching the film by this time.
- Please pay close attention to the Spotlight session times as refunds will not be issued for unwatched films.
- Opening Night, Centrepiece, Closing Night and Special Previews are all considered Spotlight films and the same terms and conditions apply to these films. Refunds will not be issued for unwatched films.
During a film’s viewing window, you will be able to rewind, forward through, pause or exit and restart the film. Please note that undertaking any of these actions will not extend the viewing window.
Access to all content on MIFF 68½ for all users will cease at 11.59pm AEST on Sunday 23 August 2020. Please ensure you have sufficient time to watch all purchased films as refunds will not be given for unwatched or unfinished films.
Classification and Content Warnings
All classifications and exemptions are age restrictions that are set by the Classification Board, and MIFF must legally adhere to them. By streaming a film from MIFF 68½, you agree that you and anyone in your household who will view the film meets the minimum age requirements set out in the published classification. If MIFF has any grounds to believe you do not meet these legal requirements, we reserve the right to revoke your access to MIFF 68½.
MIFF provides guidance and warnings where this is deemed appropriate to a film’s content. These warnings appear on the film’s page on MIFF 68½ and will also be displayed prior to the start of the film when streamed. MIFF takes the warning process seriously and expects audiences to do the same. All viewers are strongly encouraged to consider a film’s suitability for themselves any other viewers in the household in the context of warnings provided at the point of sale.
Festival Classification Exemptions
Due to the time taken to process a classification, the Classification Board recognises that it is not possible for a film festival such as MIFF to only stream films that have been officially classified. Therefore, special exemptions apply to festivals.
- This is not the same as an R18+ rating, but it acts in a similar way: nobody under 18 (including infants) can legally view a film with this exemption, even with a parent or adult guardian. One of the key differences between R and Unclassified 18+ is that the content will not be as per an R movie – rather, the film has not yet been classified as suitable for anyone other than an adult audience.
- This is not the same as an MA 15+ rating, but it acts in the same way: nobody under 15 can legally view the film unless they are with a parent or reasonable adult guardian.
Unclassified, All Ages
- These films can be viewed by, and are suitable for, audiences of all ages.
The Classification Board generally classifies all films screened in a cinema for a public audience. This is the process that gives films the classification rating that most people are familiar with:
G: General Viewing
- No legal restrictions.
PG: Parental Guidance Recommended
- No legal restrictions, but parents are encouraged to assess the suitability of material for younger viewers.
M: Mature Audience Recommended
- Not recommended for viewers under 15 years old, but no legal restrictions apply.
MA 15+: Mature Audiences Only
- Not suitable for viewers under 15 years old. Viewers under 15 cannot legally watch unless accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.
R 18+: Restricted to Adults
- Not suitable for viewers under 18 years old. Viewers under 18 cannot legally watch even if with a parent or adult guardian.
To be able to set up a user account on MIFF 68½, you will be required to provide the following information:
- First and last name
- Email address
MIFF also collects data regarding the use of MIFF 68½. Data recorded includes IP address, browser and device information, viewer metrics, and purchase and payment details.